Wednesday, March 17, 2010

St. Patrick

So today i went for a run with a friend, so does that count as exercise AND socializing? Maybe?
Most of my time currently is trying to finish this assignment before Friday. I have four articles read and five to go. blah.

Really the reason i am posting today is because i don't want St. Patrick's day to go by with out a tribute to someone who is truly worthy of emulation.

St. Patrick was born somewhere around the year 390 in Scotland. That's right, he was Scottish! He was the son of a nobleman but was kidnapped by pirates when he was 16. That's right, pirates! Exciting already, right?

He was taken to Ireland and worked as a slave for 6 years until the Lord told him in a dream that there was a ship ready for him and he was able to escape back to his home. Later in life, he wrote about his time in captivity that "the love and fear of God and faith increased so much, and the spirit of prayer so grew within me, that I often prayed a hundred times in the day...The Spirit was burning within me." While growing in prayer and in his relationship with the Lord Patrick also learned the language and traditions of Ireland. After he made it home safely to Scotland, he knew that he had to return to Ireland as a missionary.

During one of the pagan feasts all fires were to be extinguished and one flame was to be lit by a Druidic priest.

On an opposing hill Patrick lit a flame that no one, despite their efforts, was able to extinguish. Because of this, the king gave Patrick permission to preach the gospel all over Ireland, and as a result, thousands came to the Lord.

I just love that what seemed like the worst thing that could possibly happen, radically changed, not only Patrick's life, but the lives of many in Ireland. God used Patrick's time in captivity to prepare him for his ultimate calling.

I am learning to not despise trials, but acknowledge that God has great things on the other side and He is teaching me something important in the midst of them.

Christ, as a light,
Illumine and guide me!
Christ, as a shield, o'ershadow and cover me!
Christ be under me! Christ be over me!
Christ be beside me,
On left hand and right!
Christ, be before me, behind me, about me!
Christ, this day be within and without me!
-St. Patrick

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates