Thursday, January 21, 2010

Vulnerability and the Body of Christ

i have this problem with being vulnerable and sharing my life with people. The Lord has been trying to tell me this for years through lots of frustrating and embarrassing dreams. i have this thing that keeps reoccurring in my dreams that involves me not able to find a bathroom that has a lock, or a door at all. i am not sure what is at the root of this fear of exposure, maybe it is bound up in my old friend fear of rejection, maybe it is my pride, or maybe my own insecurity. Whatever it is, the Lord has made it clear that He wants to change it.

A little while ago i had the opportunity to teach in my Sunday School class and instead of teaching about you know, the fruit of the Spirit, or hearing from the Lord, or something like that, i had to be vulnerable and share about being in the wilderness with the Lord. Anyways, it was hard to do, but at the same time it was so freeing to be open with people who i know love me. Everyone one was so encouraging and supportive.

This has really made me think about the Body of Christ and what it really means. i have been a part of this body for years, but i have never really allowed myself to utilize what was being offered. i like to keep to myself and be protected, but when i do that, i am limiting myself to what only i can offer. Not that our brothers and sisters are only there for our benefit, but the purpose of the body is to support one another. Sometimes we need help and sometimes we are there to help others.

The week after i shared in Sunday School another member of our class was moved to wash my feet and pray for me. This was a really meaningful moment for me at a time when i really needed it. There have been so many people in my church who have held me up and supported me when i could not do it myself.

Last Sunday, a well-loved older member of our church collapsed during the sermon. He was quickly surrounded by registered nurses, pharmacists, and prayer warriors. i watched this man go from having no pulse and no color to being awake and alert in a faster time than i thought could be possible. It was amazing to see the body of Christ react in a real tangible way and i am convinced that we all witnessed a miracle on Sunday.

“And He gave some as apostles, and some as prophets, and some as evangelists, and some as pastors and teachers, for the equipping of the saints for the work of service, to the building up of the body of Christ; until we all attain to the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a mature man, to the measure of the stature which belongs to the fullness of Christ…speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in all aspects into Him who is the head, even Christ from whom the whole body, being fitted and held together by what every joint supplies, according to the proper working of each individual part, causes the growth of the body for the building up of itself in love.” Ephesians 4:11-16

Imagine the Possibilities.

1 comment:

  1. Amay! A while back in small group, Cindy mentioned that she would love to hear teachings from other people in Sunday School. The first thing I did was suggest you.
    For one, of course, you are a wonderful teacher and I adore learning from you!
    But also, whenever I hear you, you bring more than just a teaching or word of knowledge, you bring authenticity. And I LOOOOVE hearing people teach from their heart. Particularly you! [We should get coffee, btw.]
    All this to say, I absolutely adored you teaching, and every tid bit of thought you give in Sunday School!
    I think I need to re-read half the Bible... because I just realized that is how Jesus must have taught. Never just as a word of knowledge-- but always very much from His heart, and very vulnerable and authentic and sincere. hmmmm... I like Him!!

    ReplyDelete

 

Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates